One Skin Care Step that should be a priority in your regimen is Sunscreen Application. When protecting your precious skin from damaging UV rays, you not only minimize the risk of skin cancer and sunburn, but you definitely delay the signs of skin damage/aging such as volume loss (sagging skin), hyperpigmentation, dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines.
Mineral or Physical Sunscreen – (barrier protection due to UV reflection)
Mineral sunscreen or physical barrier sunscreen is made with organic earth minerals such as Zinc Oxide or more rarely Titanium Dioxide. Hence, the name ‘mineral’. Mineral sunscreens are composed of microscopic sphere that are mechanically flattened, essentially into tiny mirrors that sit on top of the skin and reflect the sun’s rays back, preventing them from entering into the skin.
Chemical sunscreens are being banned almost daily somewhere in the world as understanding increases that they are extremely toxic to the human body and are slowly destroying our irreplaceable ocean reefs (Google ‘Coral Bleaching’ for more information)
Chemical Sunscreen – ‘those that filter/absorb’
Chemical sunscreens absorb deeply into the skin to neutralize UV rays.
Chemical sunscreens contain one or more of these chemical toxins: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octinoxate, octisalate, octocrylene, ecamsule and/or homosalate.
Though these chemicals are approved by FDA, they have far reaching consequences as confirmed by the scientists across the world. Aside from being potent allergic triggers, these chemicals get absorbed into the bloodstream and cause toxic reactions, and hormonal disruption. They are not approved for divers, snorkelers or those visiting the coral reefs as they are toxic to the marine life as well.
Why Choose Mineral over Chemical Sunscreen
Here are the reasons why mineral sunscreens are recommended by top dermatologists to all those who are concerned about themselves, their family and the environment:
- Mineral sunscreens suit all skin types, including that of babies, small children and those with sensitive skin or heat-activated (pitta dosha) skin conditions like rosacea, psoriasis or eczema.
- Mineral sunscreens are free of parabens, mineral oils, oxybenzones, artificial fragrances, dyes, colors and other chemicals.
Did you know? Mineral sunscreen is a far safer option than chemical sunscreens, unfortunately 80% of individuals fail to adequately apply it before going outdoors due to some drawbacks inherent with the earlier formulations, such as difficulty in application and residual white sheen. However newer technology, using smaller (micronized-sized or non-nano) particles in our @PVO’s Sun Protect SPF 30+ has resolved this issue with nearly instant application with no residue.
- Mineral sunscreens are broad spectrum, meaning they protect against both UVA (responsible for skin aging and wrinkles) & UVB rays (responsible for sunburn, sun spots and hyperpigmentation).
- Unlike chemical sunscreens, mineral sunscreens won’t block pores and are ideal for oily, blemish and acne-prone skin.
- Chemical sunscreens take about 20-30 minutes to activate, while mineral sunscreen works instantly on application.
- Mineral sunscreens have a longer shelf-life as Zinc Oxide is a natural preservative.
- The Environmental Working Group (EWG) recommends avoiding chemical sunscreens containing oxybenzones due to concerns regarding health, while zinc oxide and titanium oxide (generally only used for tint) are approved sunscreen ingredients by both EWG and FDA.
Mineral sunscreens are a safer and healthier option than chemical sunscreen. @PuraVeda Organics’ Sun Protect SPF 30+ organic sunscreen is EWG approved and uses Zinc Oxide to give both UVA and UVB (broad spectrum) protection from the sun. With SPF value of 30+ through natural ingredients such as shea butter, almond oil, coconut oil, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, carrot seed oil and more, you can be sure that whenever you step outside, you can enjoy the beautiful sunshine without worrying about premature skin aging and sun damage!
Read Next: ‘Your Guide to Enjoy the Sun Safely’