Do you find it difficult to manage your skin’s fluctuations with the change in season? The winter is (mostly) gone, the spring is headed our way and summer is right behind! Here’s how you can balance your skin health (recommended by our Ayurvedic experts) this ‘Kapha’ season:
With the gradual rise in climate driven temperatures, our oil glands tend to become hyperactive. This happens when the outside weather is hot, and our body attempts to keep our internal temperature lower, and it does this by producing excess oil (sebum) from the sebaceous glands under our skin.
Unlike ‘pitta’ and ‘vata’ Ayurvedic doshas, if you fall into the ‘kapha’ skin type, you are more unlikely to get wrinkles and fine lines, especially in the 30’s and 40’s decades. However, while the production of oil, particularly in the‘T-zone’ which helps to keep your skin supple and moisturized in summers, thus prevening wrinkles, this skin type unfortunately can invite bacterial proliferation, acne and breakouts, along with dead skin cells and blocked pores! This is also the season where your skin is prone innflamation, and it is not uncommon to suffer redness and rashes.
The Key to Kapha Skincare
A kapha skin (Read More) tends to be ‘normal to oily’. An out of sync Kapha skin can lead to accumulation of toxins within your body. For a kapha skin, it’s essential that you detoxify your skin on a regular basis. For complete detoxification, it’s vital that you flush out the toxins both internally and externally to help manage the production of sebum.
What’s the Solution?
The best solution to give a fight back for a balanced dermis is by fine tuning your skin care regimen with the right botanical formula. The following should be your ideal skincare routine for this summer season:
- Cleansing: Always make sure that you use a gentle cleanser so as not to trigger your oil glands. A Clay Cleanser is the best ingredient to remove the oily impurities and cleansing should be the first step to your morning and night skincare ritual.
- Exfoliation: Deep cleaning and exfoliation are a must for kapha skin types to prevent the accumulation of shed skin cells, dirt, oil and bacteria, which are all contributors those frustrating breakouts!
- Toning: Toning can be an underestimated hero in balancing out your kapha dosha in the summer season. After you have exfoliated your skin properly, you may use a cotton swab dipped in a natural toner to polish your skin and keep it free from toxins.
- Moisturizing: Did you think an excessively oily skin doesn’t require to be moisturized? Well, you would not be along, but also incorrect on that score! Over-drying your skin can cause a rebound effect and actually cause you to produce even more oil. After gently cleansing your skin, make sure you use a lightweight and nourishing moisturizer that is infused with some of the invigorating herbs such as rosemary, peppermint, citrus or geranium which helps to balance a kapha skin.
If you are going out in the sun, don’t forget to apply a non- oily sunscreen which is moisturizing and is marked with at least SPF30.
Also, remember that a healthy skin is directly related to a healthy and a balanced diet. Make sure that you stay well hydrated this summer and increase the intake of anti-oxidant rich and fat-free superfoods. Some of the best organic superfoods to enjoy this summer are: cucumber, Aloe Vera, zucchini, oranges, yoghurt, celery, cantaloupe, blackberries, tomatoes, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, figs, peaches, nectarines and apple cider vinegar.
Additionally, cooking your food with herbs and spices such as ginger, garlic, turmeric, chili and black pepper can help to balance your digestive fire and inhibit the accumulation of ama (toxins) within your body.
‘Shielding’ with PuraVeda Organics top Recommended Skincare Essentials for the Kapha Season
We believe that ‘less is more’ for your skincare ritual and here are some of the best, fast acting and pure Ayurvedic recipes to balance your Kapha Dosha:
- Cleanser– Pore Perfect Cleanser – Organic Pore Minimizing Facial Cleanser
- Exfoliator– Papaya & Honey Exfoliation Mask & Scrub
- Toner– Pore Perfect Hydrator/ Toner – Organic Oil Balancing Daily Facial Hydrating Mist
- Moisturizer– Collagen Boost Serum – Collagen Building Firming Facial Moisturizer
- Sunscreen– SunProtect SPF 30+
Stay tuned with us for release of our next part of this series in our forthcoming newsletter: ‘Season Change – Balancing Kapha for Spring and Summers with Pure Botanicals (Haircare)’