Hair style and maintenance is a large factor in how we present and display part of our overall personality. Unfortunately, hair loss can affect anyone, but men are far more vulnerable due to high levels of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and other genetic, hormonal and environmental factors. In today’s modern hair care science, this hair loss can be addressed via several channels, but as an adjunct, a switch to organic, clean, and natural hair care regimens to maintain and improve their scalp and hair health can contribute in a serious way, testosterone driven hair loss.
Identifying Your Scalp & Hair Type with Ayurvedic Dosha System
The first step to a healthy Hair Care regimen is to educate yourself and choose quality products, and this process begins by identifying your scalp and hair type. Grown out hair isn’t actually a live entity..instead it is the scalp doing the work to produce healthy, full hair. The scalp secretes natural oils in the form of sebum which keeps hair hydrated and well-nourished. When the pH of the scalp is disturbed, this can change the entire chemistry of hair. An unbalanced pH scalp can lead to various hair problems. Here are some common problems common to the 3 Ayurvedic Doshas:
- Kapha Dosha (Oily Scalp) – Your hair often looks oily, greasy, dull and limp.
- Vata Dosha (Dry/Normal Scalp) – Your hair often appears dry or frizzy and may be prone to dandruff.
- Pitta Dosha (Sensitive Scalp) – You often have an itchy, irritated and tender scalp and also prone to dandruff or sensitive scalp conditions such as dermatitis and eczema.
Once you have identified your scalp/hair type, follow a minimal, yet effective hair care routine with these guidelines of Organic Hair Care for Men:
1. Use a Sulfate free, Natural & Gentle Hair Cleanser
Needless to say, you should be using a shampoo that is SLS & SLES free (Sulfates) as these strip natural oils from the hair. The best natural alternative to SLS-free cleanser is African Black Soap that provides a ‘clean-feel’, but in a much gentler and nourishing manner. Our @PuraVedaOrganics Unisex/for Men Hair Care contains wild-gathered and plant-based ingredients that rid the hair of toxic chemicals, and replaces them with nourishing ingredients to strengthen and promote hair health.
2. Customizing According to Hair Type
Whether your hair is straight, wavy, curly, or thin and limp. Each hair type (and problem) needs unique ingredient combinations:
- Dry, Brittle and Frizzy Hair – Revitalizing emollients such as Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and Aloe Vera Gel deep moisturize, nourish, tame and repair the hair and restore shine. Herbal extracts of Rosemary, Horsetail, Sage, Vitamins, etc. prevent dry, itchy scalp and dandruff, and strengthens circulation for faster hair growth.
- Fine, Thin & Limp Hair – Use a Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner free of dulling residue. It should include ingredients like Apple Cider Vinegar to gently remove environmental dirt and debris from the scalp. Other ingredients such as Rosemary, Lavender and Peppermint thicken hair, while preventing hair loss and maintaining pH balance, while oils of Meadowfoam, Olive, Coconut and Hemp seed restore shine without stripping natural oils.
- Normal Hair & Colored Hair – Use a Toxin-free, gentle Cleanser such as Puraveda Organics Everyday Shampoo or Clarifying Shampoo with Plant-based ingredients like Authentic African Black Soap, Essential Oils and Steam Distilled botanical concentrates like Oils of Hempseed, Jojoba, Evening Primrose, Coconut, Ylang ylang, Herbal extracts of Burdock, Horsetail, Golden Seal, Lemon Peel, and many others. This formula nourishes the hair from the inside out to deliver healthy, strong, shiny hair without flaking, itching and split ends… and also reduces scalp sensitivity. Follow up with Puraveda Organics Everyday Conditioner for best results. All Puraveda Organics Hair Formulas are Color-safe as well.
3. Follow Up With an Organic Conditioner of the Same Range
Cleansing your hair is only half of your Hair Care hair routine, so remember that following up with a conditioner from the same line is important. Any moisture or oil that is lost from the hair while shampooing is restored with a dosha-specific natural hair conditioner for men. Organic Hair Conditioners help in hydrating hair and should be applied from mid-length to the ends. Choosing an organic shampoo and conditioner of the same brand/range increases the efficiency of the key ingredients via synergy.
4. Drying Your Hair Naturally
Hair is highly susceptible to damage when wet. Therefore, you should be careful and use a microfiber towel when your hair is wet in order to avoid damage to the outer layers of hair/keratin structure which leads to split ends and frizziness.
Heat styling is hair’s enemy (esp. Long hair) Blow drying should be a last resort, even if your are short on time. If you need to use a hair dryer, use it on slightly damp hair with the lowest setting possible and follow up with a natural hair serum to restore hydration.
5. Switch to a Silicone-free Hair Serum
Hair serums comprised mainly with silicones and mineral oils temporarily smooth your hair without adding any nutritive value. Silicones also clog pores that cause them to enlarge, which not only damage hair follicles, but can cause scalp acne and other scalp issues. In order to avoid product build-up, it’s important to use a silicone and chemical free hair serum.
After shampooing and conditioning, an Organic Hair Serum or Leave-in treatment works to reconstruct damaged hair from the inside out. Our Puraveda Organics Shine On Hair Serum deep conditions, repairs dull, frizzy and damaged hair to restore shine and boost hair health.
6. Don’t Overdo
Whenever it comes to taking care of your skin, hair or body, remember that ‘less is more’. There are so many styling products like gels, putties, wax, pomades and sprays available today that might help you look great in the moment, but may damage hair in the long run. Synthetic chemicals in styling products are a contributing cause hair loss in men. While it may take pharmaceuticals to reverse hormonal/hereditary hair loss patterns, the right products can contribute to long term success in a big way!
7. Safe Hair Styling for Men
If your hair style is part of your identity, but you don’t want to damage your hair, then Organic Styling Gels made with natural ingredients will allow you to do both. PuraVeda Organics Leave-in Conditioning Styling Gel is applied pre-styling (like blow drying) for a light hold, beautiful control and shine. The formula is free from chemicals like silicones, sulphates’, petroleum, alcohols and their derivatives and won’t lead to residue build-up that causes hair brittleness and breakage. In addition, it won’t make hair sticky or dull, but instead produces beautiful volume and hydration for increased manageability.
8. Adhere to Basic Hair Hygiene
Aside from using quality products on hair, don’t forget to adhere to the three basic hair hygiene rules. First, avoid tight, fitted caps. Instead use loose caps that don’t rub against the hair. Second, minimize the use of heat tools. And if you must use them, a heat protectant or an organic styling gel with heat at minimum setting will minimize damage. And, third make sure you keep hair trimmed regularly to avoid split ends.