WHY EXFOLIATION IS SO IMPORTANT
If you’re over 30 years old exfoliation is critical for keeping skin young and vibrant. Exfoliation is achieved either through a ‘mechanical’ process like a loofah or small particles in a scrub, OR via the use of acid or enzymes that remove old, dead cells, as well as embedded environmental grime and cellular debris. When we are in our 20’s or younger, our skin is generally working hard to turn over cells, but as we age, this process becomes slower and slower and helps create many of the sign-posts of aging skin.
ACIDS VS. ENZYMES
Chemical compounds including salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid are often used in acid or chemical peels. Chemical peels exfoliate dead skin cells, but can also remove living cells. In addition, medium and deep chemical peels may cause skin damage.
Enzyme peels, on the other hand, offer a more gentle solution that can be incorporated into a regular skin care regimen. These treatments can speed up natural chemical reactions in the skin that renew skin cells while exfoliating dead cells. The best thing about enzyme peels is that they do not damage or remove live tissue; they exfoliate only dead cells, which is why enzyme peels are great for nearly all skin types.
TEVA PAPAYA & HONEY EXFOLIATION MASKS
Here at Teva Skin Care we have designed what we feel are the best face and body exfoliation products on the market today. Our 100% Organic & Ayurvedic Papaya & Honey Enzyme exfoliation in both NORMAL and SENSITIVE (w/o scrubbing walnut pearls) not only removes dead cellular debris and deep down impurities, but also feel amazing on your skin, leave it refreshed and glowing.. as well as pH balanced and ready for treatment serum followup. For the body, our HIMALAYAN SALT SCRUB with essential oils and steam extracted botanicals can really work wonders.
- Make sure you don’t over-exfoliate or exfoliate often if you have dry or sensitive skin (Vata/Pitta) and be sure to use the gentlest products available. Skin that is chapped, raw or burned should never be exfoliated.
- Exfoliation is excellent for Oily (Kapha) skin and really helps clear the pores of cellular debris.
- Make sure you cleanse thoroughly prior to exfoliating and be sure all traces of makeup are removed.
- Use minimal pressure if using a mechanical method.
- Don’t combine exfoliation with other procedures such as waxing or laser hair removal.. make sure there are several days in between.
- Take special care of newly exfoliated skin with serums and sunscreen.
- Exfoliation can be done daily in a mild superficial way and we recommend a facial mask with honey and papaya enzymes 1-2X per week for a more intensive skin regeneration.
- DO MAKE SURE you use the proper products for the body part you’re working on!
- Pink & tingling afterwards is good. Red and Raw.. Not so much. Easy does it..