Studies tell us that the magical hours between 11 PM and Midnight are when our body’s cell-division cycles are at their peak. The term ‘beauty sleep’ is literally based on scientific reality! Your skin renews, heals, repairs damage and supercharges itself every night. Application of a dedicated organic night skin care regimen just prior to these vital hours can have you waking up to plumper refreshed, and more glowing skin every morning!
The Phases of Skin Restoration During Sleep
Getting enough sleep is absolutely essential in order to avoid puffy eyes as well as the avoiding the hallmarks of an unhealthy complexion such dehydrated skin, dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles and loss of collagen volume. Insomnia and disrupting our Circadian rhythms (established sleep cycles) for any prolonged period can put our entire body (including our skin of course) in a pro-inflammatory state. Our skin is under constant daily bombardment from free radical damage, and getting adequate quality sleep goes a long way to repair that damage.
The Evening Prelude
Just prior to our normal bedtime, the sleep hormone, Melatonin, begin to rise bringing with it a sense of tiredness, and signalling mitotic cell division cycles to activate throughout the body to counteract cell damage, particularly in the skin, which is of course our first line of defence against all the toxins that we were exposed to during the day (such as UV Sun damage, and Environmental Toxins and Pollutants.
The Regeneration Phase
Once we have reached the deep REM sleep cycle/‘Rapid Eye Movement phase’, the hormone HGH (Human Growth Hormone – a/k/a skin stem cells) accelerates cell turnover and renews and replaces dead, damaged and old cells. This is also the phase of sleep when your dermal porosity increases making your skin more receptive to topical nutrients and oxygen, thereby accelerating the entire renewal process.
Since your pores are open at night, this can result in trans-epidermal loss of water overnight, making your skin feel drier in the morning. Stress hormones like cortisol from the prior day can result in waking up to reddened, inflamed skin the following morning.
How an Organic Night Skin Care Regimen helps your skin?
As we age, our bodies produce increasingly less Melatonin and HGH, which in turn slows the regenerative ability of our skin. Nourishing your skin with Free-Radical/Oxidative stress fighting botanical ingredients become absolutely imperative in maintaining our skins inherent ability to regenerate and stay healthy, more youthful and beautiful.
Since your skin is more active and permeable during the ‘Evening Prelude’ and the ‘Regeneration’ Phases, your Evening Skincare Regimen is the best time to bathe your skin in natural, active botanical skin repair ingredients such as Vitamin C Bioflavonoids and Vitamin A, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), Allantoin, CoQ10 (A Skin Collagen Booster), Acetyl Hexapeptide (Argireline), Palmitoyl Pentapeptide (Matrixyl – A Pro-Collagen Lipopeptide), Hyaluronic Acid and more.
Designing Your Nightly Skin Care Regimen
Essential points to consider prior to starting a new Night Time Routine:
- Since your skin loses moisture during the night, it’s very important to use a protective layer of natural oils to limit trans-epidermal water loss.
- While oils work wonders for Dry Skin, different Skin Types (Doshas) require differing amounts/types of natural oils for best results. So the first step in your personalized skin care regimen is to Identify your Ayurvedic Skin Dosha.
- The first step in ANY regimen is the use of an Organic Cleanser that doesn’t over dry your skin, while gently removing impurities, dirt, and debris. Use of a gentle Exfoliators / Hydrating Mask 2-3 X a week also helps remove dead skin cells effectively, accelerating the overall skin renewal process.
- The next step is helping your cells to open their lipid barriers with an Organic Hydrating Toner in order to allow skin nutrients and free-radical scavenging agents penetrate more deeply.
- Follow up with a light-weight Serum treatment to ready your skin for an active workout while you sleep! Moisture-attracting Anti-Aging Active Botanicals are supplied to your skin’s cells through these natural serums, helping boost collagen activity and restructure damaged skin matrix overnight. Choose treatment serums with hyaluronic acid, peptides and enzyme-based topicals such as our BioScience Peptide Complex for wrinkle-free, glowing and even skin toned skin.
- Follow your Night Care regime with an anti-oxidant rich morning routine followed by an Organic SPF treatment to help fight your best against the environmental odds.