With Father’s Day right around the corner, we thought the time was right to outline the correct approach to Men’s Organic Skin Care. Taking care of your skin is not just for women! Proper skin care in your earlier years will prevent problems and ensure younger looking, healthier skin for your entire life.
From fighting acne or red shaving bumps to helping reduce the signs of aging, skincare can be more difficult for men compared to women. Before we get into this guide, it’s important for you to first know your Skin Type in order to get the best results possible. .Without further ado, here’s a brief guide on how to care for your unique skin issues and some recommendations for men’s organic skincare products that we believe will work great for you:
- Moisturize: – Moisturizing your skin daily with a light moisturizer (preferably non-oily if you have a kapha/pitta Ayurvedic dosha) is non-negotiable. If you are in your 40s, or older, using BioScience Peptide Complex with it’s light Moisturization will also help slow signs of aging.
- Sunscreen: – Skin cancer (or, specifically Basal Cell Carcinoma) affects about 4.3 million people per year in the US. And the primary factor in this terrible disease is the Sun! Applying Sunscreen with at least an SPF 30 or higher, which has properties such as broad spectrum coverage (UVA and UVB protectant), is mineral based and is purely organic and nontoxic (free from chemicals and toxins) is absolutely mandatory.
- Deep Clean: – It’s just not make-up that can clog pores and cause acne and dull skin, but pollution, dirt and debris, as well as cigarette smoke and bacteria can all contribute to less than perfect skin. After a tiring day of hard work, lathering up with a deep cleanser will help you get rid of grime and the dead skin cells which make your face look dull. Deep cleansing your face every day and using an exfoliation scrub at least twice a week helps stimulate cellular turnover and the growth of new skin cells. When washing your face, start with your forehead and work towards the edge of your face, to your cheek bones, jaw line and neck in a massaging circular motion. Never rub your cleanser aggressively on the skin.
- Delay Anti-Wrinkle Treatment: – Contrary to the belief that men do not require anti-aging skin treatments (or conversely only require them after age 50), it’s been proven that getting an early start on anti-wrinkle/anti-aging treatments which can improve and minimize the destruction of your youthful skin collagen matrix.
- Ignore Red Bumps/ Razor Rash and Post-Shaving Irritation: Regular shaving can give cause ingrown hairs/red bumps and skin irritation after shaving which many men believe is inevitable for their skin type and just deal with it, allowing time to heal the situation. However, uncontrolled, recurrent, infected angry red bumps (especially in sensitive skin and Vata skin types) are actually ingrown hairs which can lead to complications such as permanent skin damage, dark spots/hyperpigmentation and scarring. When shaving, never use a dull blade or shave against the grain or growing pattern of your hair. Using a natural cooling After Shave Balm and Toner (with ingredients such as Pure Sandalwood) post shaving will help prevent and heal these issues.
- Not Controlling your Food Habits/Sugar Intake: – While Caramel Lattes, Cold Coffees and French Fries can be tempting; they can often be the reason for your breakouts. Eating healthy whole foods, such as grass fed dairy, organic meats and produce etc, can help balance your out-of-sync Doshas which in turn reflects on the condition of your skin.
Our top picks for Men’s Organic Skincare :
- Papaya and Honey Exfoliation Mask and Scrub
- Cleansers – Daily Foaming Cleanser (Normal Skin) , SBR Cleanser (Sensitive Skin) and Pore Perfect Cleanser (Oily Skin)
- SunProtect SPF 30+ Sunscreen with Carrot Seed Oil
- PuraVeda’s Aftershave Balm & Toner
- Moisturizers and Anti-Aging Treatment – BioScience Peptide Complex, Collagen Boost and SBR Serum.
Also try our top picks for Men’s Organic Haircare:
- Shampoos and Conditioners – Clarifying (Removes chemical/styling product build-up which can clog hair follicles causing premature hair fall), Revitalizing (Dry/Brittle/Frizzy Hair), Everyday (Normal, healthy hair), Big & Bouncy Volumizing (Fine, Thin & Limp Hair)
- Leave-in Styling Gel – For safe, non-residue styling and control. Imparts a beautiful shine and manageability.